A friend brought this as a post-baby meal and we LOVED it, so I decided to make it before VBS tonight. (Jon added hot sauce to his, of course.) It was a pretty quick and easy prep and made enough for leftovers.We had some fresh squash and zucchini from a friend’s garden, so I adapted the recipe from the original (which includes asparagus, leeks, and bacon).
FYI: It tastes way better than it looks in my picture. And I put the rest of our leftovers from last night in with it too to save space in the frig (so that’s the potatoes and green beans you see). Super thankful for friends who hook us up with veggies from their garden!
- 1 c chicken broth (organic & low sodium)
- 2 c organic milk
- ½ c almond meal flour
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tbsp Mrs. Dash (I mixed half table blend and half lemon & garlic herb)
- ¾ c uncooked quinoa
- ½ lb. chicken (cut into small pieces)
- ⅔ c extra sharp white cheddar, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium saucepan (high heat), whisk together chicken broth and almond meal until smooth and cook for a minute. Add the milk and seasoning and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until thickened.
- In your sprayed baking dish (I used an 9 x 13” glass dish and canola oil spray), fold together the quinoa, chopped chicken, & thinly sliced zucchini & squash.
- Pour stovetop mixture and fold into quinoa/chicken/veggie mix. Top with the shredded cheese and bake for 40-50 minutes (covered with tin foil) until the quinoa is sprouted and the chicken is no longer pink. Serve immediately.