A friend recently sent an article to some of our friends by Michael Hyatt about speaking highly of your spouse in public. I absolutely agree 100% that this is super essential.
Sometimes I playfully joke about Jonathan, and I think I need to stop that. Although I assume everyone knows how I feel so incredibly blessed to be married to him, some people may not know that. I need to be careful with my “harmless jokes.”
I hear other women talk about their husbands and it makes me even more thankful for Big Jon. I know I need to be more appreciative of him and LET HIM KNOW too, that I think he is THE MAN. I try not to brag on him too much because I don’t want to make others feel bad, but ya know what I’m realizing- WHO CARES?? He is my husband and he deserves that praise and affirmation from me, both publicly and privately. I can do it tastefully without making other people want to throw up in their mouths! (Like they probably feel like doing after this post!) If nothing else, I need to at least show the girls I teach the qualities in a spouse that are important. And encourage the young men he teaches to continue to follow his example.
I could seriously brag on him ALL DAY LONG. (And sometimes I do.) I’m sure other people get tired of hearing about how HARD WORKING, hilarious, handsome, helpful, smart, and thoughtful my husband is. He has a total servant’s heart. He serves in the youth, teaches a SS class, and all the kids absolutely ADORE him. (He is going to be the best daddy!) He is definitely the spiritual leaders in our home and makes sure we’re at church every week, He helps around the house more than any other man I have seen. He BUSTS HIS TAIL working a physical labor job full-time; has side businesses and side jobs going all the time, and his goal is to get me to stay home with our kiddos. I have no doubt he will accomplish that, and I appreciate his desire for that. He also works out hard and helps me make healthy choices for us. Not only that….but he also comes home and helps me around the house- putting away laundry, the dishes, sweeping vacuuming, etc. He prays for me daily and he lets me know that he does. He tells me I’m beautiful, his best friend, and that he’s lucky to have me AT least 3 times every day.
Anyway, now on to what I wanted to share with you all. Here is the meat of the article that share five important reasons for affirming your spouse in public:
1. You get more of what you affirm. Have you ever noticed that when someone praises you, you want to repeat the behavior that caused it? This is just human nature. It can be a form of manipulation if it isn’t genuine. But it can be a powerful way to motivate others when it is authentic.
2. Affirmation shifts your attitude toward your spouse. Words are powerful tools. They can create, or they can destroy. They can build up, or they can tear down. I believe most people have a drive to align their actions—and their attitudes—with their words. If you start speaking well of someone, you start believing what you say.
3. Affirmation helps strengthen your spouse’s best qualities. Encouragement is also a powerful force for good. All of us need positive reinforcement. This is why when we are losing weight and people notice, it gives us the strength to stick with the program. This is true in every area of life.
4. Affirmation wards off the temptation of adultery. When others see you are happily married, they are less likely to proposition you. It’s like a hedge that protects your marriage from would-be predators. You simply stop being a target.
5. Affirmation provides a model to those you lead. To be a truly effective leader, you must lead yourself, and then you must lead your family. Your marriage is a powerful visual of how you treat the people you value the most. When you speak highly of your spouse, your followers are more likely to trust you. It takes your leadership to another level.
Affirming your spouse in public is an investment that pays big leadership dividends. In a world where fewer and fewer marriages last, it can be a difference-maker.
Ladies, go BRAG about your hubby the way he deserves!!!!